Friday, February 17, 2012

Fit Mommy Friday


The hill, in the springtime.

My exercise goals for this week were pretty simple, just keep moving! And so, I moved!  :-)

I thought all went well.  I discovered a few interesting things.  For one thing, I discovered that walking inside was an inadequate substitute for walking outside.  For the last month since my fall, I have been walking to Leslie Sansone indoors.  I have not been walking as hard as before the fall, mostly doing 2 miles with stretchy bands, trying to take it easy on my injured knee. 

Well, the weather cooperated this week, and so I did two of my walks outside at the park with my son (a bonus).  Wow!  There is a huge difference being inside versus outside.  Perhaps it is the fact that I have to propel myself forward over various terrain (THE hill).  My hips also ached afterwards.  I feel as if I have a long way back to being able to bop around the park like I did before the fall.  But, I will get there, little by little.  I hope to try again next week.  It's nice to have my son along, too.  

In addition to walking inside, I went back to doing my strength and toning via Biggest Loser, alternating between the boot camp and an easier dumbbell workout. I had been using resistance bands.   The first week back to Biggest Loser boot camp, I was in major pain.  The next week, things got better.  This week, I did not hurt at all.  That means I need to increase the weights or find another way to torture myself.  (Ha, ha!)  It's nice to see improvement! 


As for my eating, I've gone back to recording calories at My Fitness Pal. I decided that  I needed to keep track of calories for awhile until I found a few good meals for breakfast and lunch.  After I build my go to "menu".  I'll not have to keep track of calories as long as I stick to my plan.  I want to have five or so for each category.

Here are a few of my ideas:

~Breakfast~
  • 2 eggs & whole grain toast
  • whole grain cereal & milk
  • green smoothie & toast
  • oatmeal
  • South Beach Oatmeal pancakes
~Lunch~  
  • leftover lean meat from dinner, vegetables, & fruit
  • chef salad & fruit
  • whole grain wrap with lean meat, greens,& fruit
  • homemade soup, whole grain bread, & fruit
I need more lunch ideas.  I am toying with just having another smoothie, perhaps one made with oats, yogurt, spinach among other things.  I think part of my problem has been that I am lazy at lunch time.  I don't want to make a salad.  I am thinking of also making a big batch of vegetable soup to eat for a few days. 

For dinner, I am enjoying taking recipes from South Beach Diet, Sonoma Diet, and my favorite cookbook Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way.

Thanks for taking the time to read! If you'd like to see more blogs of people encouraging each other to care well for the bodies God has given us, visit Annie Kate! 
~Jenn

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well. Breakfast and lunch ideas are hard for us sometimes too. You sound like you have some good ideas already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, outside walking is so much better, isn't it?

    If you feel lazy at lunch (and I sure do) why not have the kids make lunch? My kids do a lot of cooking and usually love it. Besides, they are gaining valuable skills and confidence when they cook.

    A huge pot of soup is such a blessing. I'm making one now, and it's HUGE, 4 or 5 gallons, I'd guess. That'll keep us going for several days, unless we have a crowd over after morning service tomorrow. And if we do, I'll have food all prepared. :)

    Its sounds like you're doing very well despite your sore knee. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie Kate. Yes, I do have the kids pitch in at lunch. In fact, Grace is supposed to be in charge, but do to some training issues, she gets frustrated and we have conflict to work through. :-( So then I give up and take over. I know, not good. But we are working on it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.