Monday, March 19, 2012
The Best Human Diet?
For every perfect diet "theory" out there, there is an equal and opposite camp. I admit, I was a bit confused by all the "research." So, I set out to find out for myself, "Is there a perfect human diet?"
On one end of the spectrum, there are the "eat only seeds, fruits and vegetables" people and on the exact opposite ,the "eat only meat and vegetables" people or paleo eaters.
I've done a lot of reading and listening to both sides lately. It's rather interesting. Both are equally sure that their diet or lifestyle of eating, not a diet per se, is the way to eat.
As a lay person looking at both sides, hopefully objective in my opinion, I see two sets of equally healthy people. From my own personal experience, I once lost 70# eating paleo and my blood work numbers were fantastic, disproving the eat meat and die people. And yet, I do believe that in general we eat too much meat, especially if that meat is from a factory farm. Ick!
So, where do I fit in all of this? I have been praying about that. I've come to the conclusion that it is not a "neither nor situation." It is a "both and." Both have valid points. I believe that somewhere in the middle where both diets overlap is the answer.
One thing that they both agree on is that sugar is bad. Grains are questionable. Nuts and seeds are very, very good. Vegetables have the power to heal. Fruits are nature's candy. Eating grass fed animal products, but not a lot, is a good thing. Dairy is out for both camps.
All this research just helps to cement my own convictions about eating well. And, the answer that I keep coming back to is moderation in all things, including moderation!
Happy Eating,
Jenn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I don't have the answer, but I am sure that I would like it to be as close to vegan as possible for the kindness it offers.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you had done paleo before! That's kinda-sorta where I am, but not really. I think we're probably moving on somewhat parallel journeys. I've cut out many grains. I eat mostly fruits and vegetables. I still do dairy, although that isn't the mainstay of my diet. Mostly as creamer for the coffee.
ReplyDeleteI embrace whole foods as much as possible. I don't agree that grains are evil as so many people paint them to be. I honestly believe it is a fad that will fade as so many other diets have. Just my opinion - ignore it as desired! :) I've just been in this weight loss world for so long that it seems that these things crop up and fade away. Whole natural foods make sense to me.
ReplyDeleteSomething about "real" foods seems to me as a possible common thread. That would include keeping foods real by not adding too much to them, like salt or sugar.
ReplyDeleteI work for a lady who does the paleo diet and her husband is a strick vegetarian. Both are healthy. I am like you...I think moderation and real food are the key.
ReplyDelete