Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Journey Begins

My beautiful mother and I this past Monday. 

I've made a decision.  I am going to get out of the pit I've dug for myself, but not all by myself.  This blog is going to be my record of it all.  My record of how the Lord rescues me from myself. 

I am going to take charge of my body before it is too late.  I am 43 years old.  I am out of shape and very overweight.  I've tried too many times to count to reverse this situation.  Sometimes on my own, other times seeking the Lord's help. 

I have to be totally honest with myself and admit that this cannot go on.  First of all, I am not honoring the Lord with my lack of self-control and lackadaisical attitudes about exercising. Second it is not setting a good example for my precious children. 

At this moment in time, I am not sure what plan to follow, if any.  I've done them all!  Lately, I've been loosely following a whole grain, lots of fruits & veggies, no sugar plan.  I lost 10 pounds and then I got sick, celebrated a couple holidays and went camping.  I've been afraid to weigh, because I am sure I regained it all. 

I've thought about Weight Watchers Online.  I'd have to pay $50 for three months.  I am not sure it is worth it.  I enjoyed WW when I went a few years ago.  I did very well as long as I was going to meetings.  But, money was a factor.  Should it be?  Sometimes I wonder if I should find a way to pay for it.  I need to pray about this.

For now, I plan to pray for help, exercise, and eat only when I am hungry, stopping when I am full.  (I lost 30 pounds doing these simple things once before.) I am going to pray that the Lord will lead me to the right path.  I know that I must not get into something I cannot do for the rest of my life.  As this is a lifelong battle.  I cannot say no sugar, because that is not realistic.  I will say less sugar. 

I've always hated to exercise.  Instead of thinking about things I do not like, I am going to think of thinks that I enjoy.

  • Recently, I've enjoyed push mowing my yard for exercise.  It accomplishes much and it blesses my husband.  Plus, it must get done.  And when it is done, I feel as if I have really done something!  It takes an all out effort to get it done. 

  • I also like walking and riding my bike.  I live in a great neighborhood for these activities.  All I have to do is do it!  My kids would probably like to do this as well. 

  • I own a Wii Fit that needs dusting off.  Shame, shame on me!  My poor Mii is sound asleep!  But I really enjoyed it when I was using it regularly.  The kids loved it too.

  • I also like taking hikes with my family at state parks.  We will be camping this weekend.  I plan to take a few hikes. 

My fitness goals for this week:
1.  Mow  (takes over 1 hour )  Done for this week.
2.  Take a walk  (Hike up Mt. Tom, a sand dune) 
3.  Wii Fit:  Get back on!  Just do 30 min. one day this week before we leave. 

3 comments:

  1. I pray many blessings on your journey. I too need to find a way to loose 30 lbs. ((sigh)) I will cheer you on and lift you up in prayer my SSiC. ((HUGS)) For sure keep eating whole grains and lots of veggies and some fruits. That is one thing I learned by one natural path. I think he was only recommending 2 fruits a day and let the rest be veggies. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Jenn!
    I really need to do this, too. I was just checking out WW online last night and the cost was what made me say 'no' as well. I like your goals - very 'do-able.'
    Prayers for success!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are allowing us to follow you on this journey. I pray that the Lord will guide you and be your strength. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.