Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Update No. 2

Week 2

I've completed my first week here, keeping track of my progress!  As of right now, I lost 2 pounds this week, bringing my total to 7.  I am still 3 in the hole as I had lost 10 before Easter.  Oh well, I am back on track and that is all that matters right now.  Go me! 

So, how did I do with my moving goals?  (My goal for the week was to do Wii Fit once, take one short bike ride and take one short walk in addtion to weeding and mowing this week)  I did better than planned!  Here's a recap:
  • Mowed for one hour using the push mower.
  • Weeded on my hands and knees for over one hour.  Boy did I feel it in my bottom muscles the next day!  I think weeding needs to be a regular on my list of moving. It is a love hate relationship! 
  • Went swimming.    Made an effort to keep moving the whole 3 hours in the water, tossing a ball, jumping up and down, and walking the length of the pool.  (Think water aerobics) I cannot swim laps as I have to keep the water out of my ears or I get horrible pains.  
  • Took a walk around the block with my daughter.  
  • Wii Fi:  I did it!  I got back on and faced the little talking scale!  Why was I afraid in the first place?  (Hee, hee.)  Oh, and I burned 115.  Sweet!  
  • Bike: I wanted to get on the bike.  I really did.  I was going to this morning, but after a hot, sleepless night, I was too tired.  Not a good excuse, but reality! I did do Wii Fit again this morning, so I am calling it a win!
My whole goal for moving is to try to include more movement in my day.  It's not hard to move more than I was before.  Ha.  Ha.  So sad.  But, that is my past, not my future!  My goal for this week is more of the same.  There is mowing, weeding and possibly more water aerobics.  I'd like to go out on a limb and try to do something 5 out of the next 7 days.  Anything is better than before! I put a step aerobic DVD on the Netflix queue.  Maybe it will come this week. 


As for my eating plan,

Breakfast:  bran cereal with skim milk & fruit OR oatmeal & fruit OR eggs &whole grain something like British muffin or bagel. 
Small Snack:  2-3 hours later a protein with a healthy carb
Lunch:  Protein, healthy carb, fruit & veggies
Small  Snack:  2-3 hours later a protein with a healthy carb
Dinner:  Protein, healthy carb, fruit & veggies
Snack:  popcorn, if needed
  • Drink lots of water, decaf tea for variety.  No diet soda. I don't like them anyway. 
  • Limit sugar (pray for a way out when facing temptation!) I limited my sugar this week, but could do better.  Going to cut down on those little cookies.  They are low fat, low calorie, but still have sugar.  Fruit is a good dessert. Going to a graduation open house this week.  I'll just have to do my best. 
  • Lots of veggies
  • Only whole grains 
  • Be flexible and proactive, esp. when eating away from home.
I really like taking pictures of what I am eating to keep me accountable.  I am trying to overlook the quality of the photos.  I can' be a perfectionist or I will give up something that is so valuable to my progress.

I started reading for the third or fourth time, Scale Down: A Realistic Guide to Balancing Body, Soul, and Spirit by Danna Demetre.  This is just one fantastic, encouraging book!  Have you read it? I love what she says about it basically being important to find a way to eat less and move more.  It's that simple. 

I have decided not to join Weight Watchers for now.  If I find myself stuck in a rut, I will certainly consider that option, but for now, blogging my journey seems to be working.   

OK, time for a personal insight chat... 
In the past, I've not felt very feminine.  I am a strong, sturdy woman, not frilly.  I would like to nurture my frilly side more, especially since I have a girlie girl daughter, so I asked my dear mom to paint my toenails!  Yep.  And guess what?  I like them!  Every time I look at them I smile.  And what did "my mister" (who does not like make up) think of them?  He said,"It looks like you are taking care of yourself."  Wow!  I did not think of it that way.  That is exactly what I am aiming to do, take care of myself.  I've been in a habit of not taking care of myself, nor taking much time to improve my personal appearance.  That's all changing.  :-)  I am going to get my hair cut next.  Just a trim, but usually I put it off forever and in the mean time it gets tangles and I don't enjoy it hanging on my face.  Perhaps I am learning to take care of myself.  Some one be sure to hold me to this one.  I am notorious for hating hair cuts! 


Finally, there are several of you sweet encouraging friends who cannot leave comments here for some unknown reason.  It makes no matter to me how you comment, via Twitter or email (jenn4him at gmail dot com).  I just appreciate your support in whatever form it takes.  :-)  Thank you!  And thank you for your prayers!  He is providing a way out when I am tempted. 

2 comments:

  1. Keep on keeping on! I am on the same journey and I am not sure if I will blog on my one blog or create a new one. Or maybe a page on my one.( if I could figure out how to do that, lol)

    Praying blessings on you my SSiC ((hugs))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn! I just found you via Lady Rose, and I should have known you had this blog... I knew you had two, but thought the other was a nature blog.

    Painted toenails make me smile, too. I have only done it twice, with a full pedicure, and it was a gift. Hmm. Taking care of myself. Never thought of it that way... Might have to splurge on a bottle of color. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.