Friday, September 30, 2011

Fit Mommy Check-In

Wow, another week has flown by.  I managed to do fairly well, however, the scales did not reflect my efforts. 

Exercise: 
I did at least 30 minutes of cardio every day except Sunday.  I did low impact with weights (or just walked) in order to rest my knee.  I think it did the trick. I can "feel" my knee, but it is not as painful. I will be resting from lunges another week.  I do plan to hike this weekend without restrictions.  I will see how going up and down all those stairs affects it. 

My goals for the coming week are:
  • walk at the indoor track on Monday while kids are at gym class
  • do a strength training DVD on Tuesday and Thursday, plus ride my bike
  • do a cardio DVD on Wednesday, probably Leslie Sansone, 4 miles if my knee can take it.   
  • 45 minute brisk walk at the local park with my friend on Friday
  • hike with my husband on Saturday (we'll be on an anniversary camping trip.) 
As for my eating... 

I don't think counting calories is working for me.  I need to pay more attention to what I am eating, not just staying under my calorie goals.  Even though I did not ever go over my calorie goal this week, I still did not lose weight.  I hung onto those two pounds, which really bummed me out. 


So... I am going to try and tweak my food goals.  I have been re-reading Sugar Busters, The Sonoma Diet, and The South Beach Diet.  Somewhere in all those books lies the answer for me, I hope!

Basically, the bottom line for all three is limiting sugar in the form of watching your food's glycemic index.  I also need to increase my vegetables.  I have known this and I still did not do it this past week. 

I am also going to try to include as many "power" foods in my diet as I can.  They are (from Sonoma and Sugar Busters) berries, nuts, grapes, tomatoes, spinach, olive oil, peppers, dark chocolate, broccoli, citrus, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, flax seed,and whole grains.

I hope this weekend away can be a restarting point for me.  I can move my body and eat well, not worrying about scales and counting calories!  I am going to be diligent to chose foods that are low glycemic and not worry about anything else.  :-)  It sure can't hurt! 

If you would like to join us, Annie Kate is hosting this weekly link up. 

3 comments:

  1. Great goals! I hope the diet change helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good idea. I hope it works for you. I like the idea of dark chocolate, yum. :) I eat flaxseed every morning in my cereal. I get the cold milled kind, it's fresh and has more fiber in it. It's actually quite tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your power foods! They sound yummy and healthy at the same time. I hope you have fun camping.

    I haven't got the pedometer out yet, but I've put it in my to do book for Monday. Thanks for reminding me! :)

    I hope you're having a happy camping trip. We're having cold, windy weather and I'm glad to be inside.

    Blessings,

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.