Got back from camping, which was fabulous. We hiked and biked a lot. My husband reports on Monday that he lost 3 pounds. I gained a pound. *figures*
I picked up an excellent book at the library yesterday called, Return to Fitness. The author is an ex-triathelete who comes back after 10 years of not exercising. It is very encouraging and inspiring. I have never ran, nor do I want to, but it does talk about how you can be fit by walking and doing weight bearing exercises, too. It also touches on diet, basically saying what I know to be true that it all boils down to eating foods that are low glycemic, although it does go further in saying to eat less meat as well.
I mention this because it also says that counting calories is a waste of time. Something I've learned from weeks at My Fitness Pal. While I like the feedback it gives for my exercising, the counting calories part is not helping me.
So, I am not going to count calories. I am going to keep a paper food journal and also record my fitness routines there. I am going to keep this blog because it is an important record of my journey. I want to keep doing Fit Mommy Friday and possible others topics as they come to my mind.
One of the things I am learning about fitness is that I need to have variety. I get bored too easy. So, this week I am going to do everything outside. I know that the weather will be changing soon and I will be needing to do more DVDs and indoor walking at the community center while the kids have gym.
This week I plan to:
Monday: day of rest
Tuesday: Bike ride with Grace (aim for 45 minutes)
Wednesday: Strength and toning
Thursday: Walk for 45 minutes
Friday: Strength and toning/Walk with friend at park
Saturday: long hike with family
Sunday: Strength and toning
Another thing I learned from Return to Fitness is that I need a heart rate monitor to make sure I am reaching and staying in my target heart rate zone. I could be working so hard and not really getting the benefits of aerobic activity. Maybe that is why I am not loosing the pounds? I am thinking of trying to get one for my birthday, which is next week. :-)

Jenn, I am so where you are on this, I almost deleted my MFP account. I like seeing the exercise go on there but not the calorie counting. Plus, I make so much of our meals that I was having to add all my recipes. Too time consuming for me. Enjoy your new week. I did however, enjoy tracking my eating just not that way and counting calories.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for discussing that book! Both my husband and I could use it. I'm ordering it from the library right away.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're going to persevere even though you won't count calories anymore. After all, it's about health, not only about weight, right?
By the way, the pedometer is making a huge difference. Thanks so much for encouraging me! :)
(hugs)
Annie Kate