When it comes to exercising, the elephant above describes exactly how I feel at the moment, big and slow!
This week is the first week in ages that I've not exercised. I told myself at first that I needed to rest my knee. That might have been true. I was worried that I still could not put any pressure on it while bent and it aches after walking.
I am happy to report that it feels better at the moment. I can actually bend my knee and put some pressure on it. Maybe the rest is what I needed. On the other hand, I am tormented because I did not exercise and I feel as if I am so far off that I will never get back and so why bother! (All or nothing thinking is a bad habit, by the way!)
I know. This is just something I will have to work through. My plan for today is to go out and take a walk around the block before it rains. That is all. Tomorrow I will do my strength and toning DVD.
I know that I will be sorry if I let this continue for much longer. I really do want to be fit. I want to hike up a dune in a couple months and not pant like a dog!!! But, I do want to balance my need to heal, too. My knee injury is not a simple matter. There has to be a give and a take.
~Jenn

You can do it! We can do it together!
ReplyDeleteI love you!
Thank you, my love. I just wish it were not so hard! But together we can. Just need to get to spring when we can ride, hike and otherwise be outside! love you...
DeleteJenn, NOT that I can say I actually DO this (*sigh*), but remember that even with the bad knee (I have the same difficulty) you can still exercise the upper half of the body for 10 minutes (or less) with simple weight lifting. Again, don't feel any guilt here, I do the exact same thing, I stop moving because of my knees, but the lesson we already know is that toned muscles burn calories even at rest, so grabbing a couple big cans of marinara sauce or something else that weighs at least a pound in each hand and doing 30 bicep curls, then tricep lifts, and shoulder shrugs, can all be done while sitting down in a wooden chair or on a bench :-)
ReplyDeleteHmmmmm...think I need to go take my own advice today! Hang in there, don't beat yourself up, and may God bless you with the discipline and determination through Christ to get on with this life change!
Blessings and {{{HUGS}}},
Lori
Thank you, Lori. I did get my short walk in today before the rain and it felt very good. Tomorrow I do weights.
DeleteThat can be so hard. I have stopped exercising for a while myself. And though like you I know it's something I need to do, I'm trying to let myself relax a bit and just focus on portion sizes and such. Not sure how that will go, and I'll probably go for a walk outside one of these days. But right now, no gumption to workout. Sorry I'm not encouragement, just wanted you to know you are not alone. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, JoAnn, it is hard! I think I just spring to come so that I can be outside more.
DeleteHey, Jenn, we all feel like that sometime, usually in February. I'm so glad you went for that walk. Just keep on keeping on; that's how to get healthy.
ReplyDeleteIn fact, considering the sore knee and the food decisions, it's no wonder you needed a rest this week. Making major decisions like you did is exhausting. I do hope that you will be happy with your new way of eating. You're right, you need to chose something that will work for you for the rest of your life, and whole foods is a good way to go.
I hope next week will be better for you and that your knee will feel well. By the way, swimming is good exercise if your knee hurts.
Blessings!