Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book Three, Food Rules

The next book that I read and wanted to share is Food Rules, An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan. 

This is the second time that I've read this compact little book. I decided to read it again after watching the movie Food, Inc. In Food Rules, Mr. Pollan answers three questions. 
  • What should I eat?  (Food)
  • What kind of food should I eat?  (Mostly plants)
  • How should I eat?  (Not too much)  
Here are some of the points of interest for me from this book:
  • Real food is food that your great-grandmother would recognize as food.  
  • Avoid foods containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry.
  • Avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup.
  • Avoid foods that have some form of sugar listed in the top 3 ingredients.  
  • Avoid foods with more than 5 ingredients.
  • Avoid foods that make health claims.
  • Avoid "lite" "lowfat" "nonfat" products.
  • Avoid imitation foods, like margarine or soy based mock meats.  
  • Avoid foods you see on TV ads.
  • Eat only foods that will eventually rot.  (Anyone else grossed out by this.)
  • Eat foods made from ingredients that you can picture in their raw state or growing in nature.  
  • Get out of the supermarket whenever you can.  
  • Snack on fruits, nuts or vegetables instead of chips and sweets.
  • (I love this one) If it cam from a plan, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't!
  • Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.  
  • "Better to pay the grocer than the doctor." 
  • Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper.  
  • "After lunch, sleep awhile; after dinner, walk a mile."  
He also has some points on eating less.
  • Stop eating before you are full.  
  • Eat only when hungry.
  • Slow down.  It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you're full.  
  • Put your fork down between bites. 
  • Smaller plates and glasses
  • Serve a proper portion, then don't allow seconds.  
That's all I have for this book.  Again, I am just sharing some notes I jotted down from a library book.  Happy reading to you!



1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.