This is another encouraging, reinforcing my knowledge book. Nina Planck goes into a lot of details about real food and why our bodies need it. She tells , her own interesting story of growing up on a farm , becoming a vegetarian, and coming back to real foods.
She talks about why we should not be afraid to eat real, full fat dairy. She discusses our need for meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, and fats. She goes into great detail about fats.
Here are some of the take aways that I gleaned from this informative book, not all news, but certainly reinforcing to my habits:
- The higher up the food chain a food is, ie., meat, the more quality you should buy. (I wish we could afford grass fed meat and dairy.)
- We need generous amounts of fruits and vegetables each day. :-)
- Butter, lard, coconut and olive oil are healthy fats
- Eat unrefined sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, evaporated cane juice (in moderation, of course)
- Eat wild caught fish and seafood often
- Whole grains and legumes are important
- Cultured, fermented foods like yogurt should be eaten daily.
Again, these are just my humble thoughts on a book I found at the library. Perhaps you can find it at yours as well.

Hi Jenn! Oh, I have read Nourishing Traditions, and did a lot of posts about my first-steps with it (it is an overwhelming book if you're not careful...it's NOT a cookbook that you just jump in and start making recipes from. It's like a textbook with experiments that you have to start with...and THEN you can treat it like a cookbook, LOL! That said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and highly recommend it. Just approach it for what it is, and don't be in a hurry. It's awesome, hands down.
ReplyDeleteAs for the grass fed meats, remember, you do not need to eat meat every day. Try 3 days of meat (make it the good stuff, you can pay the farmer or pay the doctor), and 3 days of beans as protein source, then one vegetarian day. Just a thought.
Keep sharing...you're inspiring!
Blessings,
Lori
Sounds like a good book, and again I agree, everything in moderation. Glad you are finding some good books to read.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing a great job of researching and determining what is good food for your body. We home educate (I like that term!) as well! I haven't heard of either book, but they both sound really good and sound. Keep up the good work and you can do this!
ReplyDelete