Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Tricky Navigation
It's been quite a social time of the year for me, which means I need to navigate carefully or my goals will end up abandoned. I want to enjoy these events and continue to work towards a healthy weight. I don't want to just maintain. And I don't want to have to up my workouts in this muggy warm weather. So far, I've maintained. Although, this morning my weight was down two pounds from last week. But it was up and down all week. All this to say, I think I need to tweak my food goals, which is tricky. I'll be trying to decrease my starches a little, I think. Instead of one per meal, I am going to try one per day. I don't really want to go starch free, because I believe that eliminating categories of food is not realistic long term, unless there is a real physical need, like allergy. I believe in moderation in all things. So I guess I will see how this change goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Jenn! Sounds like a great plan...you're really doing a great job of thinking things through realistically. I've read and heard that we need to "change things up" with our weight-loss-goal-exercise, and also our food intake when it's for weight loss goals, as our body will keep "adjusting" to what we're doing and will slow the metabolism down to hold steady. So, good job, girl!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Lori
Thank you, Lori! I sometimes wonder if in the end I'll be down to only eating water and a few select vegetables as I am slowly having to cut all things out of my diet to shake things up with my metabolism!!! I suppose some of this is being over 40 and not wanting to exercise as much as I should.
DeleteThose cupcakes look good, though I'm currently avoiding sweets and large amounts of processed sugar these days.
ReplyDeleteMaintaining your weight is a good thing. At least you're not gaining weight. However, when you are trying to loose weight or wanting to loose weight, maintaining your weight can seem like a "curse."
Going up and down a few pounds, for women, I think is normal. I AVOID scales now, as they don't give a good picture of weight loss. For women, it's fat tissue that you want to loose, and that can't be "weighed" using a scale. Also, if you do loose fat tissue, sometimes, it won't "show-up" in total body pounds lost when you get on a scale.
BTW, what foods constitute as starches?
Mara, starches are found in grains and some vegetables like potatoes and corn. I love starchy foods even more than sweets, which is saying a lot. I am avoiding as much sugar and refined flour as I can. And I agree about the scales, but they do help me stay on task. Best wishes to you as you journey down this daunting path!
DeleteSounds like things are going good, I'm happy for you.
ReplyDeleteAnd I have to say, I do think you are creative/crafty. All the photos you take are beautiful and very creative. :)
Once again, JoAnn, you are so kind to me! Yes, you are right, I guess taking photos is my craft, although not so great with only a phone camera to use, but at least I have that!
DeleteWow, those look so beautiful! Like JoAnn said, your pictures are always beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's tricky navigating food choices...when you have a choice. I never have a choice since I'm so sensitive to gluten, so it's easier for me. There's a good side to everything. LOL
One thing I do when surrounded by yummy foods is ask to smell someone's goodies. I've discovered that I can get almost as much enjoyment from the smell as the taste...and it's gluten-free and calorie-free! :)
I wish you peace and joy as you set your goals and determine ways to meet them.
I need to convince myself that my body really doesn't like refined foods, because it really doesn't! I will try the smelling method.
DeleteOne per day sounds like a good idea for me! You are doing so well.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tina!
Delete