Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Tempters and Weary-Makers

Last evening, I attended a leadership meeting at my church. The pastor led us in a Bible study on Galatians 6:9.  "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Growing weary applies to every big job, even trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle.  Especially because the fruit is our labor is not always as fast as we would like.

Here are Pastor David Michael's Tempters and Weary-Makers in Ministry, which I think can be applied to weight loss.


  • Disillusionment -Unrealized dreams and expectations.  (For me, this has been a life long struggle with unrealized dreams, too high expectations, or not high enough expectations.)
  • When progress is slow or hindered or non-existent. (One pound a week when you have so many to lose is hard.)
  • When the obstacles are overwhelming or impossible to overcome. (My body is working against me.  It was designed to hold onto weight in case of a famine.  I exercise and get more hungry.)
  • When the fruit of our labors seems insignificant or worthless. (All too familiar!)
  • Where there are too many problems, too many hassles and too many difficulties, too many demands on our time. (Taking time to plan, shop, make from scratch all meals is daunting!)
  • When decisions are being made that affect you. (Meals at meetings come to mind.  I have to either speak up for my needs or adapt my plan.  Last night we were served pizza.  Ugh.  Thankfully there was a salad.)
  • Too many criticisms, too little cooperation, too much resistance to our ideas, too little support and appreciation. (I have pretty good support, except that my immediate family is not adopting my lifestyle, so I get push back and negative comments.) 
  • When motives are questioned, words and actions are misunderstood. (Not sure about how this applies to my weight-loss journey.)
  • When we feel powerless, inadequate to make the changes that need to be made. (All the time!  Powerlessness, inadequate to sustain these changes on my own.  Thankfully, I have a direct line with the King of Kings.)
  • Seeing the prosperity of those who "sow" in the flesh.  (Their prosperity is probably not lasting, so I am not concerned with fads.) 

2 comments:

  1. What a neat application! I'm reading it for your pastor's original meaning, and that is also helpful.

    In ministry, three ideas that help me are:

    1. Results are God's business; I just need to do what he says.
    2. There are spiritual dangers to doing good; I reviewed a wonderful book about that: http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/2013/08/review-the-spiritual-danger-of-doing-good-by-greer-and-haggard/
    3. The church is full of different kinds of people who serve differently, and if we don't realize that we can get frustrated a lot more easily. I reviewed one about that recently too. http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/2015/05/review-blind-spots-by-collin-hansen/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very great application. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.