Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A New Focus



With school starting, it's time to rethink my exercise goals.  School around here means that I have a lot more responsibilities, something I welcome, but responsibilities mean less time.  Thankfully, both my kids are required to have 30 minutes of physical movement each day Monday through Friday to satisfy their PE requirements. This means I have willing exercise buddies!  Today, we walked over a mile.  The last two days, we rode our bikes.

My summer goal was to ride my bike 25 miles a week.  I discovered that left me kind of lop-sided. I was having trouble walking short distances without feeling majorly tired, but I could ride my bike 20 miles and feel great?  So, I started doing a little of both, and now I am up to longer walks, without trouble.

So turns out, I need to walk, do my weight training, and core strengthening, too.  I actually think walking is the hardest thing for me to do. I have a bit of arthritis in my right big toe that makes walking painful.  I bought new walking shoes and inserts, hoping this will help.

I love riding my bike the most of all forms of exercise, but with winter coming, it will be a good thing to find others avenues.

1 comment:

  1. I read something the other day saying our bodies get used to exercises we do after 3 weeks of doing the same thing, and we can hit plateaus because of it. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's an interesting though. I get bored after a while anyway, but I agree, I like biking best too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.