Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 86: A Fit Family

Movement:  BL The Workout sculpt and tone.  Also added 10 minutes of functional flexibility (active stretching with a stability ball) from BL The Workout II. Boy, did that feel good!

I am excited to begin this DVD.  I think I will start on Monday.  So, I did 5 weeks of the first DVD and not 6.  Are the workout police going to get me?  (lol)  I need a change! 

My daughter's first bike tour! 


Food: 
Even with going out for a birthday lunch yesterday, my total calories were 1498.  I am worried that I consumed a TON, I mean a TON, of salt yesterday.  I probably retained a lot of water too.  Good thing I weighed before I ate!  Anyway, I won't weigh again until next Friday.

Today we get to go to the Apple Store!  I can't wait to just smell the apples.  Do you think I am an apple junkie?  I do!  Fruit is my life.  :-)  Ha, ha!


Becoming a Fit Family...  The desire of my heart is that we'd become a fit family.  What that looks like, I am not sure.

I need to make some changes in my family so that we can get out of this sedentary lifestyle we've created.  I'd like to have a nightly walk or bike ride after dinner when the weather is nice.  I'd like to go hiking on the weekend when we are not camping.  Camping, by the way, is excellent for getting us all moving! 

Two of our three kids are thin, but only one is in shape.  My youngest son is a lot like me, inactive at heart, and it shows.  I owe him the effort to get him moving.  I owe it to them all.  Just because my oldest son is thin, that doesn't mean he is healthy.  He sits in front of a computer far too much.

I have greatly changed our eating as a family, although there is still room for improvement.  I started reading a few good books from the library that will help us, I think.  I want to rid our house of all refined sugar and flour.  But, frankly, I like my little ginger cookies! 

How do you become a fit family?  That's my question.  What does it look like for your family?

5 comments:

  1. I've been consciously looking for things that we can DO together, not sit and watch or play. (We play board games a lot, which is great *mental* exercise, but low on the physical.) Roller skating, biking, walking.

    As for foods, I am consciously reducing the number of processed snacks we keep in the house. Anything that can be eaten as God gave it to us (whole fruits and vegetables) is the preferred snack. Also, we are learning about serving sizes. Weigh it; measure it; count it, whatever needs to be done, but KNOW THY SERVING SIZE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Formerly, thank you. Those are VERY good suggestions! I guess my little ginger cookies from Trader Joe's will have to go, once they are gone. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you don't, not necessarily. Are they the Triple Ginger cookies? We have those! Have you looked at the serving size? It's 6 cookies for 140 calories. Who says you have to eat 6? Eat 3 for 70 calories and a cup of coffee of glass of milk for a perfectly fine snack. My children LOOOOOVE the Trader Joe's chocolate chip cookies (the mini ones), but they know to stick to the serving size.

    Of course, at the same time you do have to consider the nutritional content, which how I've been trying to build, and cookies ... well, they don't have much. Those kind of empty snacks are what I try to avoid unless I just can't get it out of my head. Then I indulge but stick to the serving size.

    OH, by the way, I got the bran flakes at Trader Joe's, and they're quite good. I like them with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We garden and try to eat all our produce rather than letting it go bad. That keeps us eating fruits and veggies.

    I try to limit potato chips and pop to Sundays, birthdays, or special outings and that works. The latest thing: we'd been eating too many chocolate chips, so now we're going to use raisins instead.

    And we go for walks whenever possible, own a trampoline, and put daily physical activity on the school lists.

    We could improve a lot, though.

    Hugs,

    Annie Kate

    PS Please come and sign my Fit Mommy linky! Your posts are all so wonderful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are doing great. I wouldn't drop the ginger cookies, everything in moderation. And I noticed that you and Formerly, and I mentioned it to, portion size & serving size. Turns our they are not the same thing. A 'portion size' of a normal cookie is two medium size cookies. The serving size on that package you two were talking about says 6 cookies. So that was something I learned. Serving sizes & portion sizes are not the same.

    But other than that, I think you are doing great. You are getting your family to move more, that's all that matters. Don't compare you or your family against anyone else. Compare you & them against what you've done in the past. And if you have changed in an area, that's good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.