Thursday, January 26, 2012

Update and Rehab


Today, I began my relationship with my new health coach.  Of course, she is very nice and has a lot of great information to share.  The whole process is a bit daunting.  I feel as if I have a lot of pride to swallow.  That's a good thing really!

She pushes a super low fat, plant based diet with very little starches.  I am not so sure that is the way to go for me.  I do agree that I need to eat more vegetables.  Interesting that that was my goal for January!  I think it will be my goal for February too.

In that spirit, I am going to try making a green smoothie recipe she gave me as soon as I have bananas in the house again.  If it goes well, perhaps I will make one every day, increasing my veggies in the process.


Fruit smoothie
2c water
Handful of spinach (you can continue to increase as you get use to it)
1/2c frozen fruit
1/2 banana
blend and enjoy


My leg continues to heal.  It's range of motion is less at the moment.  At least I can now go up and down stairs normally.  The swelling is gone, too.  The worst thing is the scab on the knee.  It keeps getting scraped.  I have a rehab plan for next week.  Monday, I am going to start walking inside and see how that goes.  Tuesday, I am going to do my stretching and toning, but modified, either on the ball or some other way to avoid being on my knee.  Wednesday will be more walking.  Thursday will be back to my stretching and toning.  Friday more walking. 


I am trying to keep positive and not give into my feelings of being overwhelmed by all I have to do!  ~Jenn 

UPDATE on the UPDATE:
I made my first green smoothie and I can honestly say that I loved it!  Now, to make it a daily habit. 

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you leg is healing well.
    I have attemped to add green smoothies to my diet a few days a week. A good by product is that Benjamin loves them too and he needs all the greens he can get. I made a slightly adapted version of this smoothie this morning http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/01/kates-power-smoothie/ I am not sure what I think of this one yet, I added a banana and other frozen fruit and some honey comb(very little like a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.) to make it more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, that smoothie recipe looks great. I put off trying smoothies with vegetables too long!

      Delete
  2. Glad everything is going so well. I hope you find a happy balance with you and your health couch. I haven't tried a green smoothie yet, maybe I should some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnn,
      You know, you might be surprised and actually not mind the green smoothie. I did not want to try one for the longest time because I thought it would be bitter. My recipe was not bitter and really the banana and strawberries covered up the spinach. Trevor even liked it.

      Delete
  3. I hope you heal quickly. Good luck on the new eating plan. I'm eating lean meats and lots of veggies and it works well for me. I also eat some berries and squash to get carbs and dried coconut and nuts(little bit) for fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briana,
      You're doing such a great job with your eating!!! I need to be more consistent.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're recovering well.

    Don't be overwhelmed by the health coach, but take only as much of her advice as you can right now. Just keep on going the way you were going, and you'll continue to do well.

    I love your rehab program. It sounds sensible and do-able. I hope it works out well for you!

    Blessings,

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.