Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fit Mommy Friday

Social eating

Hooray!  I walked 2 days this week and did my weights 2 days, too.  Tomorrow we'll be up at "our" lake and plan to hike a dune.  I feel as if my knee is really healing up well, although, I still cannot put direct pressure on it.  I cannot put my weight on it when bent.  So, next week, I will try to do a little more and see how that goes.

As for my eating, I kept a journal every day this week.  I discovered that I am more of a  visual person than I even knew.  Each morning I go over the previous day and quite unpremeditated, I found myself marking the day's food with a smiley face or a frowning face.  I also circled the vegetables and fruits.  It makes me happy to see lots of circles and smiles!

I had another good talk with my health coach.  She helped me to see that I am a social eater who "caves" when others around me are eating things I know are not the best choices for me.  I still have to figure out what all this means.  I do not think this means that I can never have food that I enjoy.  But, what it does mean is that I am not going to look to others for my strength to say no, if I really need to say no.

For example, recently we were eating out with family.  The end came and I was perfectly content to skip dessert.  There was cake at home and I was planning to have a very small piece.  Well, the waitress brought a cupcake to the birthday boy and before I knew it, everyone was ordering cupcakes.  I wanted to remain strong, but caved.  And then I had more cake at home because I was defeated at that point.

I can see two negative thinking issues with the previous situation.  I let others have the control and I gave up.  I should have remained firm with my original decision.

Anyway, my coach says I need to take the focus off of food when in a social situation and focus on the people. I also need to think ahead to how making certain choices will affect how I feel afterwards.  Do I want to feel strong and in control or guilt ridden and weak?

She wants me to focus on the positives of my week, which were plenty.  I enjoyed a green smoothie every day.  This pushed my veggie intake up to where it needs to be.  I also got back to moving.  Yay!

If you'd like to read more Fit Mommy Friday posts, visit Annie Kate! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are working through things well. The Lord showed me recently too about enjoying others more than food. Fun how He showed us both that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to get back to exercising. As you get used to not eating something everyone else eats it won't be such a struggle. Well, it isn't for me anymore. Sometimes I'll just sniff the cake or whatever and that's enough.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.