![]() |
| If your grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, it's not real! |
Lately, the pace to eating 100% real food around here has picked up. For example, I am buying as much organic as I can afford. I am buying very little red meat. I am trying to buy wild caught fish once a week. We are no longer eating cereal, even good cereal is processed. (I , personally, am 100% processed food free! The kids are working on it.)
It requires only a little more effort to make real food, but it is so worth it. I am no longer tempted by restaurant foods, for I know they are full of chemicals or faux food! (And this frees up lots of money to spend on real food.)
For my son's birthday, we had a homemade dinner of whole grain pizza, fruit salad, and chocolate cake with real ice cream. In the past, I'd have a bakery make the cake and I'd pick up some pizzas from Costco. Now I think of all the corn syrup, salt and other chemicals and can't bring myself to buy them! (Did you know that your body thinks corn syrup is a toxin and processes it in your liver unlike regular sugar?)
The other day, a friend posted on Facebook, that there was a coupon for Toni's frozen pizzas making the cost only 75 cents, plus you would get a free movie rental. What a deal? NOT! Have you seen the label on one of those pizzas? Is that food? I think it reads more like a chemistry formula from college. (And to think I used to feed that to my little babies! Oh my.)
Like I said, I do have some work to do. We cannot afford organic every thing. I need to work on our dairy consumption, go raw perhaps? I want to get my oldest son off of chicken nuggets and regular peanut butter. (He's my last hold out.) I want to find a way to buy grass fed meat and poultry. I want us to eat more vegetables. I still have a hard time making more than one per meal.
I am pleased, though, that we are no longer eating processed, boxed foods, fast foods, frozen foods, corn syrup, or sodas. We read labels. If there are more than 5 ingredients, we count the cost of eating that food. I make all our bread or buy it from Great Harvest. I cook every day. We eat healthy oils, only.
It really is not so hard to eat "real" even on a tight budget, if you are determined! I don't write this to shame others or to brag. I simply feel passionate about this topic and want to encourage others to think about their choices.

This is a classic example of how a wife and mother can nurture her family: As part of taking care of herself, she benefits everyone else. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing an AWESOME AND WONDERFUL THING!!! Keep up that great, great, work, and keep our nation's "real food" farmers in your prayers, they are coming under attack, even at gunpoint, more than you know. But it is a battle worth fighting. Romans 8:22 tells us "For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together..." I hear ALL of God's creation groaning under what mankind has done to it, it's not just mankind groaning! Keep up your good work to the glory of God! May He continue to bless your efforts to give only His good food to your family :-)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Lori
You are inspiring me! I am trying to convert over. One thing that you said ( that you were 100 percent process food free) and working on it with the family. This really hit home that I should not wait on the whole family to do what I need to do. If I can be the example and slowly get rid of the non real stuff I think it will be doable.
ReplyDeleteAwe...Your dh comment says it all.
ReplyDeleteGlad it's going to sell for you. It sounds like you are really happy with your choices, that is great. :)
ReplyDeleteWay to go Jenn!
ReplyDeleteI love what your husband says, and he's 100% correct. You keep on doing your best for you and your family, and may the Lord bless your efforts.
((hugs))