Monday, April 23, 2012
Healthy Camping
Camping is a full on Olympic sport for my family with 8 or 9 trips a season! In the past few years, it was a sport centered around eating donuts, cookies, chips, smores, camp store ice cream and the like. Not going to happen this year. And not sad about it either. Who needs the junk? Corn syrup is out. Fruit is in.
So, I've revamped our camp menu to include less junk and more greens. Here is my sample menu for a typical 3 day camping trip.
Friday Evening : Roasted chicken (from home), grilled vegetables, fruit, and whole grain rolls from Great Harvest. Kids may have smores.
Saturday:
AM: Great Harvest whole grain cinnamon bread or homemade muffins, eggs, fruit, and (nitrate free) sausage. Lots of coffee, too. A must!
Noon: Hummus, lean deli meat, whole grain bread, grapes, carrots, broccoli
Snack: Homemdae "Lara Bar" balls, fruit
PM: Grilled (grass fed) burgers on whole grain rolls, broccoli slaw, fruit
Sunday:
AM: oatmeal, fruit, (nitrate free) bacon
Noon: Same as previous day or we might grill something more substantial to make it all the way home.
PM: Dinner at home, something simple, like eggs and toast
We will also do lots of hiking when we camp. I'd love to have room for our bikes, but there is just not room and we don't have a bike carrier.
I am very much looking forward to this season,and the challenge of not making it an excuse to overeat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you have a great plan, I hope it works for you. Do you make your own hummus? I usually have homemade hummus every week, I'm hooked. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm on board! Now all we have to do is go!
ReplyDeleteThe new layout is great! Simple is good.
OK lady I love you bye bye!
Wonderful plan! I'm sure it will work great and help you keep on track!
ReplyDeleteYum yum yum! We love to grill on campouts. A favorite is to make shish-kebabs at home, put them in a big ziplock bag w/italian dressing for marinade, then put that into a big Tupperware type tub that can hold the skewer length (in case the skewers poke holes in the zipperlock bag, LOL!). SO GOOD cooked over the campfire! Garlic bread wrapped tight in foil goes to the side to heat up...mmmmm :-)
ReplyDeleteWow! That will be a huge improvement! I can see you getting so much healthier this summer!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!