Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What's For Lunch?



I have finally come up with my three, rock solid lunches!  I love having three, rock solid breakfasts, which I rotate faithfully.  They are:  oats with berries and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter; 2 eggs and a slice of toast; or a smoothie with greens, oats, peanut butter, and fruit.

For lunch, I have found it really difficult to be consistent.  I get tired of salads every day.  (I get really tired of them!) I used to have cheese based lunches, like grilled cheese, tortillas with cheese, but that's out now.    So, here is my plan. 
  • When available, left overs from dinner.  I usually make a lean meat, grain, fruit, and vegetables for dinner.  I can just make sure to make a little more.  My husband has first dibs, which is the way it should be, so there is not always enough for everyone the next day. He's in an office and doesn't have access to healthy food, so I'd rather he have them.  
  • A green, a bean, and a grain...  This little ditty will save me lots of time thinking up what to eat.  I'll just grab something green, add some beans, and have a grain.  Easy.  I like to saute spinach or peppers and beans and then putting them into a whole grain tortilla.  Add fruit, and it's easy. 
  • Smoothie... on days I don't have one for breakfast, why not have one for lunch. In fact, why not have breakfast for lunch any day?  (I love breakfast!)  
Of course, salad is always an option.  :-)  What's your favorite lunch? 


5 comments:

  1. It's hard to come up with good lunch ideas here too. And I agree completely, leftovers go to hubby first. I make homemade hummus, and have that with a small salad. Or a baked potato topped with broccoli and a bit of cheese. I like your green, bean & grain. I'll have to remember that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My loving Sweetheart,
    Thank you so much for first dibs on leftovers. You are saving me from pink slimy fast food. Just the thought of it makes me yuch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of green, bean, and grain. The kids don't though. And school is so busy that lunch is often a low-prep thing.

    We love leftovers, and whenever I make soup I try to make enough for several days.

    I also love the idea of having 3 basic choices.

    Thansk for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one of my kids like the "green, bean, and grain". I go ahead and make my lunch and if anyone wants what I am having, I make more. Otherwise, lunch is on your own around here. Usually, Grace makes lunch for the kids who are not eating my lunch. :-)

      Delete
  4. My lunch is typically a salad. I like even the preparation. My children seldom join me, so I make something else for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.