It's been a rather tough week for me. On Saturday, after helping spread 8 yards of mulch, I decided it would be wise to take at least half an allergy pill. In the middle of the night, I woke up with my heart racing, pounding, feeling like I was going out of my skin.
This has happened before. It dawned on me that my allergy medication was no longer working for me, but against me! So, I decided to stop taking it,not knowing just how hard that would be on my body which has grown so used to frequent doses for several years.
In years past, I'd take it often in the spring and fall and then not as much during summer and winter. It never was a problem to go a few days or weeks, even. I guess my body is just too used to it after so many years. Anyway, I started having crazy symptoms when I stopped taking it.
My mouth was dry. I was nauseated. I had no appetite. I had anxiety and pressure on my chest. I felt like I was going crazy for a few days, really. I also itched and had read blotches. And sleeping was/is still tough. I don't sleep straight through. Little noises wake me up. So, I am tired as well.
Thankfully, my allergies are not going crazy through all this. I am a little stuffy, but otherwise only sneezing a little. I am going to look for a natural way to deal with them in the future.
This has been awful! The only good thing is that I've also given up caffeine and sugar. I figured that while I was not interested in food, I may as well get totally clean. I am sure this is adding to my withdrawal! (Oh well. )
And, in the process, I lost 7 pounds this week, which is probably just water weight, so I am not going to claim them all until I see the scales stick there. It sure was the hard way to break up my plateau!
Each day it gets a little easier. "They" say it takes two weeks. I am almost at a week. I have waves of anxiety that hit and crazy thoughts to battle. I'm taking those captive as they come!
Anyway, that's been my week. I did take a bike ride, walked, did some weight training and tried to remain active, when I was able. A lot of sunshine helped, too.
~Jenn
Oh dear! What a week you've had!
ReplyDeleteBut you're doing a great job. Getting off allergy meds, sugar, and caffeine will make such a difference to your body!Although it's hard now, it will be worth it.
That link to Wardeh in my post talks about the GAPS diet. http://gnowfglins.com/2012/06/06/why-im-on-the-gaps-diet/# She's going back on it because her allergies are starting to act up again.
It's a very radical diet,way too much for me, but I'm inspired to take a few little steps like trying fermented foods regularly. You should read that link and see if any of it resonates with you.
Keep on taking those thoughts captive! Praying for you!
((hugs))
Annie Kate
Caffeine and sugar, you are doing so great! Hope can sleep well soon.
ReplyDeleteI have experienced the same with allergy meds.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so good! ( I think I would die if I had to give up both sugar and caffine at the same time!)
Praying you get some quality sleep this week.
You know I'm praying for you. I pray your body continues to adjust and get clean of all the toxins that it's trying to clean out.
ReplyDeletePraying healing for you, Jenn! When I did the Hallelujah Diet a few years back (totally vegan), at first it was great (after the withdrawal, that is, LOL!). But after a time, I got careless with my nutrients, which is really bad on vegan. Anyway, point is, I had anxiety attacks for the first time in my life...REALLY SCARY STUFF. It turned out that I had an essential fatty acid deficiency, so I started on a high-concentrate fish oil (liquid form) on the advice of Dr. Fuhrman (of Eat to Live-fame), and within 2 weeks I was totally healed of it. What I took is this:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.professionalsupplementcenter.com/EPADHAHighConcentrateLiquid.htm
It's called "EPA-DHA High Concentrate Liquid by Metagenics" if you want to price shop it. It was expensive, but it tastes fine (I took 1/2 teaspoon twice a day), no "fish-burps" (if you've ever taken fish oil capsules, you'll know what those are...a sign of rancid fish oil which is what most fish oil capsules have in them), and keeps in the fridge for a long time.
Anyway, you may want to take a look at your "good-fats" intake...when someone develops anxiety who didn't have it before and they're trying to diet/lose weight, it's a tip-off to a fatty acid deficiency, often-times.
Blessings,
Lori
I hope that you continue to feel better! My husband has terrible allergies and swears by Claritin.
ReplyDelete