Monday, November 5, 2012

Self Control Lessons From the Young



My daughter is the most self controlled person that I know.  Recently, I discovered that she will assign herself a number of pages that she can read when her favorite magazine comes so that she doesn't read it all at once and then have to wait two months for the next one. 

Not only that, but she can save money for a good cause.  She got a big check from her grandmother for her birthday in July.  It was the end of October when she got to spend it on a used laptop with her brother.  She had to wait until he got his birthday money, and she was totally fine with that.  (I have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket as soon as I get it!) 

She also amazed me this week with her Halloween candy.  She put a white piece of paper in her candy bucket and on top of the candy was the amount that she would allow herself to eat for a given time, to make it last. 

These examples blow me away.  I am so different.  They show me how much I have to learn from this young person!  She certainly did not get this from me.  I have a great deal of struggle to save money or delay gratification.  I am going to study her habits and see if I can learn to be more self controlled like her. 

The first thing I am going to deny myself is rushing out to get a tablet.  I am going to save a portion of my birthday money until Christmas and get a nicer one.  This will be an exercise of discipline, as I've wanted a tablet for some time.  I will follow her example and wait.  I am sure that I will grow in ways that I do not expect by waiting!  I am certain it will spill over into my eating as well. 

7 comments:

  1. She has learned some amazing life lessons early in life! I am more like you. I have my birthday money spent before I get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think God wired her that way and it will serve her well all her life! Now, I just need to be more like her!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your daughter certainly demonstrates excellent self-control and great faith. It humbles me that I too can learn such lessons from a young woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humbles me, too! I'm praying God will bless me with such self restraint, too!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it amazing how the Lord will use the young to even teach the older? [o= May these lessons spill into all aspects of your life.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great that she can do all of that. It sounds like you have a good plan for saving the money for your tablet. I hope it goes by quickly for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for Grace! God has really been working in her.

    According to The Power of Habit that I reviewed recently, practicing self-discipline in one aspect of life increases your ability to practice it in other aspects. Isn't that nice?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me an encouraging note. Check back here if you ask a question. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I am able.