Monday, June 17, 2013
Gluten Aware and an Update of Sorts
As it usually happens, I was at the library, and I noticed a book on the new book shelf, The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution. Since I have enjoyed reading The South Beach Diet book, I gave this one a trip home with me.
This post is not really a book review. I did read the book and glean from it, however, the actual diet itself would be terribly hard for me to follow as it asks the dieter to give up for the first two weeks all grains, sugar and fruits.
I did think it made a good point in that not all people need to be gluten free, which seems to be the bandwagon to be on at the moment. It does make a case for trying to see if you are gluten sensitive, though, which means you be gluten "aware" for a month. So, until July 6th, I am going to be gluten aware.
In a little over a week, I have managed to avoid most of the gluten that I would normally consume. It gets easier as time goes by. I can't say that I have noticed any changes with my digestive system. Maybe I don't have much of an issue with gluten in the first place, but I do think I was consuming way too much wheat, which led me to eat many more refined carbs than I need.
I am happy to not be missing the wheat, but it is easier at the moment because I am not restricting more than I usually do sugar, corn, potatoes, and rice. I know that I need to look at how much sugar/starches I consume in order to lose weight, but I decided to give the gluten free diet a chance first, one thing at a time!
I know several of you are gluten free for real health reasons. I think 2 of my kids could benefit from being gluten free, as they both have GI issues at times. This month will be a testing of the waters so to speak!
On the exercise front, I have decided to break up my exercising into 3 ten minute segments. In the morning, I will do 10 minutes on the step aerobic. After lunch, I will do 10 minutes of strength training. In the afternoon, I will either walk or ride my bike for 10 minutes. We shall see how this goes!
Oh, and my scales broke. We got a new battery and that did not fix it, so I am going by how my clothes feel. I was able to buy a new smaller bathing suit, so I know I am doing fine. Maybe this was a good thing!
And lastly, at a community pool this weekend, I saw this add for 5-2-1-0. They were encouraging kids to eat 5 servings of vegetables and fruits a day, only be on a screen for 2 hours, be active for 1 hour, and drink almost no sugary beverages. I thought it was a great message and a good reminder to me to eat my veggies and move.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like you got some good ideas from the book. I agree, I don't think going GF should be a 'diet' option. Just remember, there is so many more ways that gluten can affect people beside GI issues. With one family member, it's more of a concentration issue. If you need any help, please let me know. I will share all I've learned.
ReplyDeleteYou're work out schedule sounds good. Let me know if it works. And good job on the new smaller bathing suit. :)
I think I need to do the gluten free trial too. My stomach has really been protesting when I eat anything like cereal or breads lately.. I will have to look at the books suggested.
ReplyDeletethanks for this post Blessings