As I type this, I am feeling pretty good about myself today. I decided to invest in some cold weather exercise clothing. The sun was shining and the wind wasn't blowing, so my two boys and I headed out. My oldest ran circles around us,lol. The point was to get outside and walk, and it felt really good when I got back home. Midway, I was wondering if this was a good idea. I forgot my gloves and headband. Oh well, next time! I do hope I can walk often, until the snow comes at least. I may even ride my bike with an extra layer.
Yesterday was spent reading a pretty interesting book, Slim By Design, by Brian Wansink, Ph.D. The psychology of eating fascinates me. I read his other book, Mindless Eating, which was also very interesting.
After reading Slim By Design, I have decided to make some changes to my food environment. I still believe that there are no forbidden foods, but if my pantry is full of candy, chips, and cookies, I am more likely to choose them in a weak moment. So, yesterday, I boxed up all the candy, chips, and cookies and put them in my husband's van. I can't tell you how freeing that is today. I am not tempted to eat what is not here. And if I must have some, he will be here to encourage me to not eat it all!
Mr. Wansink suggests moving your pantry out of your kitchen, clearing counters, and have no comfy chairs or TV in your kitchen. I didn't ever keep food on the counters, but I did keep the pantry door open, which is visible from our family room as I watch TV. Now with it closed, it is a reminder to me that I am done eating or it is not time to eat. That is a clear message that my brain needs to hear. I have fruit out in bowls as always, the difference is that there are no cookies calling me. I am also going to reinstate an afternoon smoothie or pop popcorn.
I also cleared out the fridge/freezer. I still need to set it up so that I see the vegetables first. I also need to cut some up for dipping in humus. And I did make a trip to the store and bought lots of healthy foods. It just feels good knowing that I can't go wrong with the food in the house.
I am also going to try using even a smaller plate. I was already using a salad plate, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I am going smaller and I am going to use Mr. Wansink's suggestion to divide the plate into half vegetables or fruit, and half meat and starch. He also says that if you want more, that is OK, but you have to eat the same amount of vegetables, too.
I am also trying to keep a water glass nearby to increase my water intake. I had gotten away from drinking water. What I really want to do, but am having trouble making myself, is to keep a food journal. I did that for so long. I really just want to live. I don't want to be thinking about it all the time. That is where setting up my food environment to be no fail will help.
And finally, I have wanted an Ab exerciser for awhile, at least the last year since I have been exercising, but I didn't want to spend $40 for one. I found it on sale for $13! And it does make a difference that I can feel.
I love that half plate for veggies rule. And if I still feel like eating at the end of the meal and I've had enough protein, I'll load up on veggies. I make the kids follow the 'if you want more meat, you need more veggies too" rule.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a happy and healthy New Year!
Sounds like some great changes. Glad u found that a buster at such a great price too.
ReplyDelete